United Clinical Laboratories
Providing laboratory services to the tri-state area since 1986
United Clinical Laboratories (UCL) is a medical laboratory providing routine, emergency and reference laboratory services to Dubuque's major health care providers and people residing within a 50-mile radius.
UCL is recognized both locally and nationally for its commitment to quality and its innovative use of resources and technology.
We operate at six sites:
- UnityPoint Health Finley Hospital — Dubuque
- Mercy Medical Center — Dubuque
- Mercy Medical Center — Dyersville
- Medical Associates — Maquoketa
- UCL West Draw Site — Dubuque
- Administrative Offices — Cathedral Square — Dubuque — not a draw site
UCL is a consolidated laboratory with standardized equipment, procedures, and staff training. We are able to provide services to a broad base of medical and industrial clients with ever changing needs.
Dubuque Pathology Associates provides Medical Directors for United Clinical Laboratories.
November is National Diabetes Month
4 Steps to Manage Your Diabetes for Life
Step 1: Learn about diabetes.
What is diabetes?
There are three main types of diabetes:
- Type 1 diabetes — Your body does not make insulin. This is a problem because you need insulin to take the sugar (glucose) from the foods you eat and turn it into energy for your body. You need to take insulin every day to live.
- Type 2 diabetes — Your body does not make or use insulin well. You may need to take pills or insulin to help control your diabetes. Type 2 is the most common type of diabetes.
- Gestational (jest-TAY-shun-al) diabetes — Some women get this kind of diabetes when they are pregnant. Most of the time, it goes away after the baby is born. But even if it goes away, these women and their children have a greater chance of getting diabetes later in life.